HARVEST for Quilters

https://twitter.com/harvest
@harvest



This is a test.
I'm testing HARVEST, a small business management site, to track how much time it takes me to write a pattern, make the test quilt, and get it published. Come with me!






  • HARVEST tracks project steps by time or budget. 
  • You can have multiple project team members (such as stunt quilter, longarmer, photographer, see?) and track their time and expenses.
  • HARVEST graphs your progress! Sounds ideal for UFO busting, right?
  • You can even send yourself a HARVEST Time Sheet and pay yourself :)
Especially, I wish to track how long it takes to piece the quilt top, as I think this is useful information for a pattern to tell you.
Am I right? Do you shop patterns by how long they take to make? Do you trust the designer's estimates when they say, "can be made in a day?"
Please let me know in comments!

Here I have set-up a total quilt writing project with estimated hours for each task. When I start a job, I start the task timer. HARVEST logs the results for calculations and charts.

quilt project on harvest
[I had all the tasks listed in doing order, but HARVEST resorted them reverse alphabetically. I'm counting this as the first negative for the program. But it's not a deal breaker. Onward!]

Please tell me if you think I have estimated enough time for each task?
Assume full-sized double bed quilt. Or did I forget any tasks?

Here is a sneaky peek of our next quilt pattern, Blue Magnolia. I found some fabric I really like at Cutting Edge yesterday.
 
Blue is Island Batik and grey is Moda Grunge. Karen assured me the world wouldn't end if I mixed batik with other fabrics. But I'm still not sure....What do you think?

I love this Grunge. Look how many colors it has in plain gray! So I will use it for lots of things, even if we decide to get a new batik background for Blue Magnolia.
 

Thanks! 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds very helpful. I think the cutting time would change by the size of the pieces needing to be cut, and the quilting on weather it was a long arm or your regular sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this site before. I'll be interested to see how you like it, and how close your estimates are.

    Batik goes with everything! So does Grunge! Carry on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...