Pages

Butterfly Bunting

Bunting and garlands are my favorite way to decorate. Here is a quick quilty springtime project, good for fat quarter or scraps. Finish with ribbon ties, vintage buttons and pipe cleaner.
http://roadhomequilting.etsy.com
Make a toast shaped pattern, 5"h x 6"w. [I like brown grocery bags for pattern paper.]

Make a quilt sandwich, where both sides are "top" worthy fabrics. Butterflies are reversible. Stitch on pattern outline. [I used spray basting and regular stitching foot.] Cut out with pinking shears.
Quilt toasts. [I made swirly shapes with darning foot and mismatched bobbin thread.]

Hand basted and gather center of toast shapes.
Now you have a butterfly :)
Use 1/2 stick of pipe cleaner folded in a V shape. Tack on back of butterfly.
Finish Butterfly front with 3 large [more than 1"] buttons.
TIP:  For perfect spacing, sew on the center button first.
Tack Butterflies together at top edges. Tack ribbon ties to end butterflies.
  • ALTERNATE ENDING:  Extra Butterflies? Attach a clothes pin to back of butterfly with hot glue gun.
Happy Springtime & Happy Quilting

7 comments:

  1. Adorable, I should get my act together and make some for my Easter display x x thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynette, for visiting our blog! I am a huge fan - can't believe I missed this post. I hope its not too late to say WOW really honored you stopped by, and I'm so glad you liked the quilted butterflies. Maybe they are still in your Easter stash?

      Delete
  2. Really cute and looks quite easy to make! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this idea and how it turned out! the clothes pin back would be fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francis, We did clothes pin AND barrette backings for smaller butterflies. It was fun project for my daughter and I:)

      Delete
  4. I am teaching a 10 year old girl sewing class and using this. Super cute. The girls plan hand them in their rooms or lockers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how happy this makes me:) This is my favorite project, I am so thrilled it is helping the girls learn sewing. Alex wore her butterfly barrette to school for many semesters. I so enjoyed designing this project with my daughter when she was that same age, and I am really glad kids still find it fun and fashionable:)

      Delete

Thanks for reading!