Pages

Superior Quilts

historic Magma Hotel vintage bar
We made a field trip to Superior for an annual end of summer festival - Prickly Pear Days. 
We found some unique quilt art. But not all of them are actual quilts. See what I mean?

Apologies for the blur - I'm learning new phone/camera settings.
The black and white border is bugle beads in-the-ditch. And the binding is variegated crewel yarn whip-stitch. I like how the quote stitching crosses the background and first border.
There was a series of these mug-rugsized  arts, each with the hound's-tooth check background path. 
Did I mention my new camera issues? Sorry I can't show you the complete series.

These heart triptych fabric boxes are the same mug-rug artist, now with broderie-perse and stuffed hearts. I couldn't tell how they constructed the fabric boxes - sew clever!

This Town Hall quilt is painted blocks of local historic places.
I have to make special mention of the smokestack - it came down (video) 9 months ago. A landmark for 100-ish years, all gone. But commemorated in quilting and plenty more local arts :)
I just really liked this local artist painting of cow-girl with coyotes, so I wanted you to see it tool:0.
Thanks for sharing our trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!