Pages

Covid Sewing Stories

I was telling my neighbor about the sewing adventures I have seen while selling sewing machines during the quarantine. She said the news was inspiring. Here are my stories, so you can judge for yourself.

A young couple with a new baby came in. They had just received their stimulus check and asked me to help them pick a serger. They wanted to sew their own baby clothes.

Half a dozen men with no sewing experience have come into the shop. They were all starting mask making businesses because they had been laid-off from work. They were fearlessly learning to sew, read patterns, and set-up Etsy shops.

Likewise, the design school students. Imagine having fashion design as an online course, and thus unexpectedly having to teach yourself sewing when you had been promised to learn in class. One young man had bought a sewing machine on Offer-Up; no ankle, no feet, nothing good. I was able to Frankenstein some working parts together for him from different brands that he could afford. BTW, there are 3 design schools in our region. When I finished high school here, you had to go to New York for fashion school. So I especially love helping the baby designers.

Speaking of beginning sewers, a lady came in for "the cheapest easiest machine you have. I don't even want to learn sewing, and the minute this is all over I am donating that machine to a church or someplace." She went on to explain that her husband was a police officer, and he was allocated only one mask per day, which was too dirty for use long before lunchtime. She was learning to sew in order to make him mask covers. I said, "Sure I'll give you the cheapest machine. But you'll be back for an upgrade when the sewing bug gets you." You know mask making is only a gateway hobby.

Lots of mom and daughters have also come in for "starter" machines. They are learning to sew together with their bonus home school time. One lady had twins, and I found a good sale for her so she was able to get a machine for each child. 

Speaking of sewing time, one night close to closing, a nurse stopped by the shop, wearing her scrubs on the way to work. She was living in her garage while her husband worked from home with their two toddlers. The family comes to the window to wave bye to their mom when she goes to work. She told me that even with the hospital overtime, she was so bored in her garage room. She had asked her husband to bring the sewing machine outside for her because she had always wanted to learn quilting. I said you sure have come to the right place, and I showed her every dream ruler foot, ditch walking foot, you know, everything you wish you had when you started quilting. I was also fair to outline options for her, cheaper ways to get started, etc. But she said, "I will never again have this much money and time all at once. I'm going large - wrap it all up."

Sewing is essential.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for passing these stories on. Here's hoping for success for each and every one. I hope they all come back in 6 months or a year to tell you of their seeing afentures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my wish too, Joanne, that we all can meet again.
      Thank you so much for reading.

      Delete
  2. Those are great stories! I'm glad you wrote them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading - sincerely- without you, there wouldn't be any sharing, they would only be posted stories.

      Delete
  3. Very apropos. Life finds a way.
    Darrell

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!